Members of this society were most likely part of the congregation of Free St. George’s Church, located on Bath Street in the city centre. (For more information on this church, see ‘Glasgow — St. George’s‘ on the Ecclegen website.)
There is little currently known about this society. The information we have comes primarily from the Glasgow Post Office Directory for 1853-1854, which lists this group as part of the Glasgow Free Church Literary Union (see ‘Additional Notes’ below). In addition, the Sandyford Church Literary Association report states that the Sandyford society held a joint debate with members of the Free St. George’s Literary Association.
Date of Existence
Source of Information
1. ‘Glasgow Free Church Literary Union’, ‘Local Institutions–Religious’, Glasgow Post-Office Annual Directory for 1853-1854 (Glasgow: William Mackenzie, 1853), p. 79;
2. (Mentioned in ‘Extract from Report submitted to the Fifth Annual meeting of Sandyford Church Literary Association, 7th April 1884’, which is the last article in the Sandyford Church Literary Association MS Magazine (1883))
Mitchell Library (Glasgow Post Office directory)
Mitchell Library Special Collections (MLSC) (magazine)
642424 (MLSC) (magazine)
This society was part of the Glasgow Free Church Literary Union, which is listed separately.
The Glasgow Post Office directories are available at the Mitchell Library and the National Library of Scotland. Digitised copies are available through the NLS website: https://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Glasgow