Members of this society were most likely part of the congregation of St. David’s Free Church, located on Frederick Street in the city centre. (For more information on this church, see ‘Frederick Street UP Church‘ on The Glasgow Story website; see also ‘Glasgow — St. David’s‘ on the Ecclegen website.)
There is little currently known about this society. The only information we have comes from the Glasgow Post Office Directory for 1853-1854, which lists this group as part of the Glasgow Free Church Literary Union (see ‘Additional Notes’ below).
Date of Existence
Source of Information
‘Glasgow Free Church Literary Union’, ‘Local Institutions–Religious’, Glasgow Post-Office Annual Directory for 1853-1854… (Glasgow: William Mackenzie, 1853), p. 79
National Library of Scotland
This society was part of the Glasgow Free Church Literary Union, which is listed separately.
The Glasgow Post Office directories are available at the Mitchell Library and the National Library of Scotland. Digitised copies are available through the NLS website: https://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Glasgow