There is little currently known about this society. The only information we have to date comes from a mention of the group in an annual report of the Sandyford Church Literary Association written in 1884, which states that of the five debates held, two of them were joint debates with the Park Literary Institute and Free St. George’s Literary Association.
It is very likely that the name of this society belies its more modest existence: it was not uncommon for relatively small literary societies to give their groups a more prestigious sounding name.
Date of Existence
Source of Information
(Mentioned in ‘Extract from Report submitted to the Fifth Annual meeting of Sandyford Church Literary Association, 7th April 1884’, last submission in Sandyford Church Literary Association MS Magazine)
Mitchell Library Special Collections
See also Sandyford Church Literary Association, and Free St. George’s Literary Association, with whom this society had joint debates.