Napiershall Public School was located on Napiershall Street, off Great Western Road in the Woodside area in the West End of Glasgow. (For more information about this school, see ‘Napiershall School‘, ‘Napiershall Street School‘, and ‘Napiershall Street Public School‘ on The Glasgow Story website. For more information about the Woodside area, see ‘Glasgow’s West End. Woodside & Firhill‘, on the ScotCities website.)
The School Board of Glasgow’s prospectus for its continuation classes announced the commencement of basic and advanced commercial and science classes in September 1907 for boys and girls, and well as young men and women. In addition, there was to be a special class just for girls and young women: a free reading circle was being started wherein they would read and discuss ‘interesting books’, the aim being to make reading ‘pleasant and profitable’.
It is currently unknown how many women and girls attended this reading circle or what they read.
Date of Existence
Source of Information
Departmental Records; Further Education; Evening Classes, Continuation Classes and Further Education; Prospectuses 1907-1908
Glasgow City Archives