This club was based in Govan, an area south of the River Clyde and southwest of the city centre. (For more information about this area, see Gerald Blaikie’s article, ‘Govan, Glasgow. Architecture & History‘ on the ScotCities website.)
It is currently unclear if this is the same group as the Govan Fairfield Burns Club. The evidence we have comes from a newspaper clipping in a scrapbook housed in the Mitchell Library. It is possible that the Govan Burns Club and the Govan Fairfield Burns Club were one and the same.
There is very little currently known about this group. The information we have comes from a newspaper article in 1909 on the ‘Ter-Jubilee Celebrations’, which gives a long list of the attendees, and reports a large part of the speech given by Mr J. E. Christie. There is very little information on the club itself.
Date of Existence
Source of Information
(Newspaper clipping, annotated:) ‘Times. 26 January 1909’ (‘”The Twenty-Fifth.” Ter-Jubilee Celebrations. Govan Club. Mr J. E. Christie’s Speech’, Evening Times, 26 January 1909 (Fourth Edition), p. 5)
Mitchell Library Special Collections
Young’s Scrapbooks, Vol. 22, p. 30
The Evening Times is available at the Mitchell Library and the National Library of Scotland (check libraries for availability in different formats). Digitised issues are also available through the British Newspaper Archive: https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/