Members of this society were most likely part of the congregation of St. Luke’s Free Church, which at this time was installed in a new church built for them on Great Hamilton Street (now London Road, SE) in Glasgow’s East End. (For more information on this church, see ‘St. Luke’ & St. Andrew’s Church of Scotland‘ on the East Glasgow History website; see also ‘Glasgow — St. Luke’s‘ on the Ecclegen website.)
There is little currently known about this society. The information we have comes from the Glasgow Post Office Directory for 1853-1854, which lists the society’s representatives in the Glasgow Free Church Literary Union (see below).
This group was one of 12 societies that made up the Glasgow Free Church Literary Union in 1853 (at least) (see ‘Additional Notes’ below).
Date of Existence
Source of Information
‘Glasgow Free Church Literary Union’, ‘Local Institutions–Religious’, Glasgow Post-Office Directory for 1853-1854… (Glasgow: William Mackenzie, 1853), p. 79
National Library of Scotland (NLS)
This society was part of the Glasgow Free Church Literary Union, which is listed separately.
The Glasgow Post Office directories are available at the Mitchell Library and the National Library of Scotland. Digitised copies are available through the NLS website: https://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Glasgow