This group was located in the Gorbals, in the south side of Glasgow. Members might have belonged to the East Gorbals Free Church (previously and subsequently known as Gorbals Parish Church or the Parish Church of Gorbals), on Calton Place, which was the home of the area’s Free Church congregation between January 1853 and 1863 (see ‘Gorbals, Glasgow. Laurieston Guide‘ on the ScotCities website; see also ‘Glasgow — Victoria‘, on the Ecclegen website).
There is little currently known about this society. The only information we have comes from the Glasgow Post Office Directory for 1853-1854, which lists this group as part of the Glasgow Free Church Literary Union (see ‘Additional Notes’ below).
Date of Existence
Source of Information
‘Glasgow Free Church Literary Union’, ‘Local Institutions–Religious’, Glasgow Post-Office Annual Directory for 1853-1854… (Glasgow: William Mackenzie, 1853), p. 79
National Library of Scotland
This society was part of the Glasgow Free Church Literary Union, which is listed separately.
The Glasgow Post Office directories are available at the Mitchell Library and the National Library of Scotland. Digitised copies are available through the NLS website: https://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Glasgow