Barony Mutual Improvement Society (later became Barony Young Men’s Association) (not the same as Barony Free Church Literary Society)


Members of this literary society were most likely part of the congregation of the Barony Church (Church of Scotland), which was located in the Townhead area of Glasgow and near the cathedral. (For more information about the church, see ‘Barony Church, Glasgow. History‘, on the University of Strathclyde Archives online catalogue. See also Gordon Adams’s article, ‘Barony Church of Scotland‘, on the East Glasgow History website. For more information about the Townhead area of Glasgow, see Gerald Blaikie’s article, ‘Townhead Glasgow. Cathedral Precinct‘, on the ScotCities website.)

This group met weekly on Wednesdays at 8pm in M’Lauchlan School Room (Free School), which was located at 107 Cathedral Street in the city centre. The subscription for membership was three shillings per annum (a bit more expensive than the average, which was 2s 6d) and entitled members to use of the society’s Library. The Library (also located at the M’Lauchlan School Room) was open on the last Wednesday of every month at 8pm. While membership was restricted to male members of the congregation, women nonetheless contributed to the society’s magazine, which was not unusual.

The group produced a magazine for their society in manuscript between 1863 and 1875 (at least) (see ‘Additional Notes’ below).

Date of Existence


Source of Information

Barony MS Magazines, Barony Mutual Improvement Society [later the Barony Young Men’s Association], 6 vols, July 1863, August 1863, September 1863, August 1864, March 1869, 1873-75


University of Strathclyde Archives

Reference Number

GB 249 T-MIN/18/1/1-6

Additional Notes

See also one digitised issue of the Barony MS Magazine, August 1863, available on our website. See also entry for Barony MS Magazines on our sister website, Literary Bonds.