Members of this society were most likely part of the congregation of St. Mark’s Free Church, located at 161 Main Street, Anderston, an area to the west of Glasgow’s city centre. (For more information on this church, see ‘Glasgow — St. Mark’s‘ on the Ecclegen website. For more information about the Anderston area, see Michael Moss’s article, ‘Industrial Revolution: 1770s to 1830s. Neighbourhoods. Anderston‘ on The Glasgow Story website).
There is little currently known about this society. The information we have comes from the Glasgow Post Office Directory for 1853-1854, which lists the society’s representatives in the Glasgow Free Church Literary Union (see below).
This group was one of 12 societies that made up the Glasgow Free Church Literary Union in 1853 (at least) (see ‘Additional Notes’ below).
Date of Existence
Source of Information
‘Glasgow Free Church Literary Union’, ‘Local Institutions–Religious’, Glasgow Post-Office Directory for 1853-1854… (Glasgow: William Mackenzie, 1853), p. 79
National Library of Scotland
This society was part of the Glasgow Free Church Literary Union, which is listed separately.
The Glasgow Post Office directories are available at the Mitchell Library and the National Library of Scotland. Digitised copies are available through the NLS website: https://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Glasgow